CBD for Depression
Depression is a severe mental health disorder that negatively affects a person’s day to day life. According to the World Health Organization, depression is the second most common mental health disorder affecting people around the world. Fortunately, recent research is finding that CBD Oil is a natural and safe remedy that can help reduce symptoms of depression. CBD for depression works to regulate your brain’s biochemistry, improving brain signals that may leave you feeling exhausted, tired and unhappy. Continue to read below to understand what depression is and how CBD Oil may help you battle depression.
The American Psychiatric Association defines depression as a serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, think and act. Feelings of depression are often more severe than sadness or grief. Depressive episodes can range in severity and might last weeks, months or even years.
Depression symptoms can include:
- Loss of energy or increased fatigue
- Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
- Feelings of guilt, helplessness
- Loss of interest in things that used to be pleasurable
- Anxious or “empty” feelings
- Thoughts of death or suicide
These symptoms can be caused by an array of social, psychological and biological factors. Depression can arise genetically predisposed, from a traumatic event or a chemical imbalance in the brain.
Depression and the Brain
When depression occurs, it generally causes irregularities in the way the brain sends and receives neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are chemical messengers emitted by brain cells to keep our movements, senses, awareness and mood in function. When these signals become irregular, it can significantly affect mental health.
Two of the main neurotransmitters thought to work in correlation with depression are dopamine and serotonin.
- Dopamine – Dopamine is the chemical neurotransmitter that plays a role in your motivation and reward. Motivation is what promotes us to do something again and again. The award can be as simple as eating a slice of pizza or the satisfaction after going for a run. When depression arises, it affects the amount of dopamine your brain receives. Low dopamine levels can cause low motivation, feelings of helplessness and a loss of interest in things that used to interest you.
- Serotonin – Serotonin is the chemical neurotransmitter that plays a role in your mood and expression of emotions. Low serotonin levels don’t necessarily contribute to depression. However, a boost in serotonin levels may help regulate your mood and social behavior if you deal with depression.
CBD for Depression and the Endocannabinoid System
Cannabidiol’s effectiveness starts with a biological system in your body known as the Endocannabinoid System, or ECS. Your body’s ECS is a structure of cannabinoid receptors (CB1 & CB2) located throughout the brain and nervous system. These receptors respond positively to cannabinoids (CBD) when introduced into the body. The primary goal of your body’s ECS and its collection of receptors is to sustain homeostasis. In order to maintain the body’s homeostasis, your ECS is accountable for managing crucial life functions such as your mood, memory, sleep, and immune system.
If you suspect that you may be depressed, consult a medical professional and share your symptoms with them. Talking about the way you feel can help them determine the most effective treatment. CBD for depression is not a cure, but it can lessen the intensity of symptoms and may improve your overall state. That’s because CBD contains natural properties that can help limit the psychological effects of depressions. CBD has anti-depressant and anti-anxiety attributes that can significantly influence the way your brain sends and receives nervous signals. Studies have shown that CBD Oil works with the body’s ECS receptors to directly impact the way the brain interprets dopamine and serotonin signals. Consuming CBD Oil has the potential to affect your energy levels, helping you stay alert and more focused. With the proper release of dopamine and serotonin throughout your body, you may feel healthier and more motivated.
World Health Organization – Depression
American Psychiatric Association – What is Depression?
Ministry of Hemp – Can CBD Oil Help with Depression?
Harvard Health – What Causes Depression?
National Center for Biotechnology Information – Antidepressant-like and Anxiolytic-like effects of Cannabidiol: A Chemical Compound of Cannabis Sativa